Tips to Prepare for Your Bike Trip to Leh Ladakh
The journey to Leh Ladakh is absolutely thrilling and exciting. Those who have traveled to Leh Ladakh through their bike ride consider this to be the Holy Grail. The experience is unique and has no words to explore when biking in Himalayas. This is definitely the most arduous journeys in the world, you would ever experience.
Get Best Prices for Leh Ladakh Bike Trip
Remember, the highway, Leh- Manali is not as smooth as the national highways on the other regions of the nation. Although they look great in photos, they are really challenging and only an experienced biker can travel through.
Here follows a few useful tips to help you plan for a safe and best Leh- Ladakh bike trip:
Things to Carry in Leh Ladakh Trek:
This will be helpful in case of your bike breakdowns. This includes: Bike toolkit, ring spanner of size 8 -17, flashlight, flat tyre repair kit, screwdrivers, tow rope, petrol siphon pipe, jumpstart cables, foot air pump and empty coke bottle for carrying extra petrol
Important documents to carry:
This includes bike papers like registration certificate, pollution under control certificate, insurance certificate and your driving license
Essential spares to carry:
This will include, extra spark plug, cable for accelerator, duplicate keys, epoxy adhesive, instant adhesive, spare fuses, spare headlights, chain links, engine oil, spare inner tubes and cables for clutch and brakes
Can you rent Bike for Leh Ladakh?
There are many bike mechanics and tour operators in Leh and Manali offering bikes for rent. However, you should be very careful while selecting the bike, which you can manage riding on this challenging roads.
Try to check the quality of bike and how it sounds. Take the bike for a small ride before you choose.
Check with multiple dealers before you select.
To say, the Royal Enfield 350 C will cost about Rs.800 tp Rs.1000 per day. There is also 500CC Enfield Bullet available, but it may cost you over Rs.1100 per day. The Pulsar bikes are relatively cheaper and they are available even at Rs.500 per day.
Since you are going to ride on the toughest roads of the world, you cannot compromise on the quality of the bike you are choosing, which may also result unwanted risks involved. Therefore, pay more attention on choosing the right bike, which is in good condition too.
Additional Tips for Leh ladakh Bike Trip
- Try to ride the bike using same gear for ascending or descending in a stretch. This will put only less pressure on brake, as engine braking will play major role
- Always keep the gear engaged
- Do not go too far nor too slow
- It is recommendable to test the water before crossing any water bodies and check the depth too
- Try to turn throttle up, until you are out of water, as the moment you turn accelerator down, water enters exhaust pipe, casing the bike to stop
- Riding through fresh snow will give adequate traction, however, go slow
- There will be many speed breakers in between, therefore, be aware of them
- Keep the chain slightly look as this can help preventing overheating