The Frozen River trek
Chadar Trek also Known as Zanskar River trek- Fancy a real adventure trek with breathtaking views? The Chadar Frozen River Trek Package is your best bet. This trek covers a staggering 55 km one-way, with an average of 15-17 km per day. The winter snowfall closes most mountain passes and the ‘Chadar,’ meaning blanket refers to the frozen Zanskar river which becomes the only way for the residents near Zanskar to connect with the rest of the world.
The route for Zanskar valley opens during January and February only. At times, the temperature drops to -30 to -35 degree Celsius. Despite the freezing temperatures, the sun and the blue skies are up by 7:00 am and that’s when our day begins. While most of the trekking will be done on the frozen river, chadar or the normal trail used by the people in Zanskar, sometimes we will climb icy rocks or trails.
sometimes its the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination
As most roads are blocked during winters, the air is the only way to reach Ladakh. The temperatures in Leh will always be in negative during winters, so wear your warm clothes in the flight itself to avoid the drastic drop in temperatures from affecting you as you descend from the flight.
Leh is immersed in snow and at times the roads will also be hidden under a thick sheet of ice. Due to this, the city will only be partly open. Only the shops catering to local needs will be open and hence, buy all your gears from your city. this might be the difficult day just because it would be you first day at Leh, Overnight stay at lodge.
Today is the most important Day as it is reserved for acclimatization and rest, so that your body would get used to the weather circumstances . The other option is, you may opt for half-day sightseeing of the city to visit famous attractions like Shanti Stupa, Hall of fame, Leh Palace, Local monasteries and other similar places. Overnight stay will be in the hotel.
Today, we will proceed for a mandatory medical checkup conducted by local government authorities at the tourist Information center and obtain a NOC from ALTOA and Wildlife Department permit. This procedure is meant for everyone who comes to visit Leh Ladakh during winters for this Chadar Trek. This procedure make surety that every trekker/climber have required physical fitness. Overnight stay in the hotel.
Brace yourself for the upcoming excitement as it’s the first day of your trek on the frozen river Zanskar. Since you have waited for almost 3 days for acclimatization and medical procedure, finally you are going to start your most amazing Chadar Trek.
The inspiring sight of Zanskar river is worth visiting. You will be briefed by our guide to prepare for the trek and on how to walk on Chadar as it is very important to have all the knowledge about the trek. They will also brief you about how walk with gumboots, without crampons.
Starting from Leh, we will have ride till Shingra Koma which is around 70 kms away from Leh City and it will take almost 3 hours to reach the destination. We will also have a short trek of around 2 hours. Today’s trail is very easy compared to the trails going to come on following days. Also it will be your first over night stay in Camps. Overnight at Shingra Koma in tents.
We will start our day with a hot cup of tea and a scrumptious breakfast. Today’s walk covers 14 km trail on Chadar and it would take about 6 to 7 hours to reach to the next campsite. We will also have a packed lunch to carry along with the backpack.
During the winters the sun shines at around 9 or 10 in the morning. Take a glimpse of a few frozen waterfalls along the way. By late afternoon, you’ll reach Tibb, and the last 200-meters walk will be truly astounding. Camp accommodation at Tibb.
After having a hearty breakfast, we will start our trek towards Nyerak waterfalls. Enjoy your lunch inside a cozy cave en route. The trail is around 13 km long and it will take almost 7 hours to reach the next campsite. Nyerak is the first village from where the Zanskar regions starts.
If we reach the destination point on time then we can also choose to visit the Nyerak Village. You will reach the campsite in the afternoon and will have plenty of time to admire the mesmerizing Nyerak waterfall. It should take you about half an hour to get to the gigantic Nyerak waterfall post-lunch. Head back to the campsite for your dinner. Overnight stay at Nyerak in tents.
Post breakfast; trace your steps back to the Tibb campsite. As we already knew the trail, the return route would look much easier. The Zanskar River constantly changes its form as per the weather. It gets difficult to recognize the sights and seems to be a different place altogether on the way back. Overnight stay in tents at Tibb.
After breakfast, a hike of about 7 to 8 hours will make you reach Bakula. A drive to the Leh city marks an end to your trek of the enchanting Zanskar. Overnight stay in the hotel.
With the departing breakfast of the enchanting Chadar Trek with the family who were with you on the trek for your Support and encouragement. From the Leh airport you can board your flight for your native cities with the Heart full of happy memories and the crazy activities you did on the Chadar trek.
Per Person (Leh to Leh)
- Accommodation:- Hotel/Guest House in Leh, Camping during trek
- Transport from Leh to Trek and return
- All meals – vegetarian (Only On Trek)
- Trekking equipment for Chadar trek (Tents, Sleeping Bags, Mattress & Toilet tents)
- First AID Medical Kit and Oxygen Cylinder for Chadar trek.
- Services of an expert trek team of Chopta Trek(guides, cooks, helpers, porters/mules)
- Achievement Certificate of Chadar Trek.
- Memories of Life Time
- GST 5% (Service Tax)
- Airport Transfers in Leh
- Food in Leh
- Environment Fee of approx. Rs. 2040 to be paid at Leh
- Insurance and Rescue fee Rs. 2000 per person to be paid at Leh for Chadar Trek
- Medical Check-up fee Rs. 200 per person to be paid at Leh
- Any kind of emergency evacuation charges on Chadar trek
- Backpack offloading charges – Rs. 3,000/- for the whole Chadar trek
- Personal expenses of any kind during the Chadar trek
- Anything apart from the inclusions of Chadar trek
- Full payment / Rs.5,000 for Trek / Rs.10,000 for Road Trip / Mountain Expedition to be made in advance at the time of booking
- Remaining / Rest Payment to be made before the start of the trip
- Booking can be made via NEFT / RTGS / SWIFT / Bank Transfer / Cash
- GST @ 5% will be additional on all the bookings
- Last Date of the booking will be closed before 07 days prior trip departure
- Cross confirm the dates and seat availability from our team via mail or call before any online booking/reservation
- If any invoice amount is above 2 lacs and mode of payment full or partial is in cash (cash paid at counter or deposited in bank) 1% TCS will be applicable and to be deposited extra on total amount and PAN card copy has to be shared.
- Full payment is required as per applicable airfare in case of flight booking
- In the event of cancellation of any trip/adventure activity services due to any avoidable/unavoidable reasons, we must be notified the same via mail at [email protected]
- Cancellation charges will be effective from the date we receive advice on mail and cancellation charges would be as follows
-Before 30 days: 90% of the total Land Package Cost is refundable
-Between 21−30 days: 75% of total Land Package Cost is refundable
-Between 11−20 days: 50% of total Land Package Cost is refundable
-Less than 10 days: No refund
- Refund will be processed within 10 working days after the cancellation date.
- Cancellation charges will be calculated on gross tour cost and the cancellation charges shall depend on date of departure and date of cancellation.
- No Refund will be payable:
-For any missed/unused services of the tour including the meals due to whatsoever reason
-If services of the tour are modified, varied, amended, cancelled or not utilized.
-If any client decides and/or is required to cancel the tour due to any changes made in Itinerary or trip
-If the client is not satisfied with any service of the operator
- Aahvan Adventures OPC Pvt Ltd can change the Sequence of the day-wise tour program/Itinerary without any prior notice. It may Change depending upon traffic schedules/restrictions, landslides, flight amendments, weather conditions or any other travel related unforeseen circumstances.
- In case of cancellation of the group from our end due to any unavoidable circumstances, we will either transfer the booking in our other fixed departure trips or refund the complete amount except flight charges if any.
- Aahvan Adventures takes utmost care to ensure the safety of its members during any of the adventure programs. However, in the case of any unforeseen mishaps, Aahvan Adventures will not be liable for any injuries caused or for loss of life. All disputes arising due to the above will be subject to the jurisdiction of Ahmedabad only. All participants would be required to sign an Indemnity Form before the start of the program, without which traveller would not be allowed to participate in any of the adventure programs.
- The package price does not include – Expenses of personal nature, such as laundry, telephone calls, room service, alcoholic beverages, mini bar charges, tips, portage/ offloading charges during any trip, monument fees, camera fees etc.
- Package rates are subject to change without prior notice, Force Majeure events, strikes, fairs, festivals, weather conditions, traffic problems, overbooking of hotels/flights, cancellation/re-routing of flights, closure of / entry restrictions at a place of a visit, etc. We would not be held liable for any refunds/compensation claims arising out of this.
- It is mandatory for all guests to carry valid photo ID’s (Passport/Driving License/Voter ID Card). PAN Card is not accepted at many places as a valid photo ID.
- Aahvan Adventures reserves right to dismiss any client from the tour due to any form of misbehaviour, unreasonable quarrel or physical/verbal assault affecting a client or any of the Ground Field Staff.
capture the moment that captivates you
pack your bag for great adventure
- Day Bag(20-30 litre) with Rain Cover (If you hire mule or porter)
- Back Pack(50-60 litre) with Rain Cover
- 2- water bottles
- Personal Medical kit (If you required)
- Hiking Shoes-water proof and ankle support
- Torch With extra batteries
- Original ID Card
- Glucose, Chocolates, biscuits and nuts
- Thermal Wear
- 2-jacket (1 Fleece, 1 Down feather)
- Warm Inner wears
- 2-Gloves (1 Woollen, 1 Waterproof)
- 2-Trek Pants (which is a comfortable full day)
- 4-T-shirts (2 Full Sleeves,
- 2 Half Sleeves)
- 2-Sweater (1 Fleece, 1 Woollen)
- 5-Socks (3 Cotton, 2 Woollen)
- Rain Coat / Poncho
- 2- Caps (1 Sun Cap, 1 Woollen Cap)
- UV sunglass
- Sunscreen Cream
- Tooth Brush & Paste
- Lip Balm
- Quick Dry Towel
- Body Lotion
Who questions much, Shall learn much.
- A. Chadar trek is difficult and we suggest this trek to experienced hikers.
- A. January & February is the best time for Chadar trek
- A. Nyerak – 3390m is the Highest point of Chadar trek
- A. As most roads are blocked during winters, air is the only way to reach Leh-Ladakh.
- A. During day time the temperature will be around -5° to 0° and during night it will fall down to -30° at Chadar trek
- A. Yes, Trekking shoes are mandatory and they would be with a good grip, ankle support and waterproof.
- A. Trekking shoes are not mandatory but, it will make the trek comfortable. Take a shoe with a good grip and high ankle support. It would be better if the shoes are waterproof.
- A. There is no provision for a bath on the trek.
- A. 15-20 People
- A. 2 guides
- A. Yes, men and women will not be sharing tents, unless they want.
- A. We provide food for 4 times a day i.e. Breakfast, lunch, evening snacks, and dinner.
- A. Carry an original ID card and a photograph.
- A. Yes, we do provide Toilet tents.
- Yes, Sudden weather changes are expected, always carry a light raincoat or waterproof windcheater/poncho.
- A. In Sankri you will get BSNL mobile network. In other locations, you won’t have any network.
- A. During the trek, you will get electricity only in Leh.
We believe that your opinion will guide us.
Aahvan adventures with the best support.
January is when the winter is at its adulthood. The warm blood has to keep warm in the cold of Chadar range. The temperature nearly drops down to -25 or -30 degree Celsius. Keeping it safe from the cold Chadar trek is offered here with Aahvan adventures with the best support.
Chadar trek with the best supporters
Here it is! AAhvan Adventures provide the best Chadar trek with the best supporters throughout the journey. Whatever a trekker or adventurists seek for is here. Also, it is believed by the organization that as you move on with your team for an adventure it comes with the best information, accommodation and with the best well-experienced guide. Enrol for the adventure here.
Best Himalayan range Trek - Chadar
Himalayan range trek are mostly in the winter season as one explore more of the snow and more of the winter. It swirls your nose to see the peak, the lightening peak of the Himalayan range treks. The Himalayan range trek is normally at the higher altitude. In addition to that, the most suitable snowy trek is the Chadar trek which is explored in the month of Jan-Feb.
Chadar trek the best trek ever.
Chadar trek is normally offered in the month of the Dec- Feb. This is called the real Chadar of the ice sheets covered all around. January is the mother of the winter where the temperature drops down to -25 degree according to any researcher. To offer the lifetime adventure, we are here. Chadar trek the best trek ever.
Chadar Trek in February
Chadar Trek in February is more of your Comfort as this trek offers more of the snow in a way. In addition to that, One can set a trail on this frozen river when there is a cold atmosphere.
Per Person + 5% GST
Share This Trip
Day 01 : Arrival Leh
Day 02 : Leh – Acclimatization Day
Day 03 : Medical Check-up in Leh
Day 04 : Leh – Shingra Koma
Day 05 : Shingra Koma – Tibb Cave
Day 06 : Tibb cave – Nyerak camp
Day 07 : Nyerak – Tibb Cave
Day 08 : Tibb Cave – Bakula – Leh
Day 09 : (Return) Leh to Destination